1) Drink plenty of fluids. This aids the immune system and helps loosen lung congestion.
2) Take analgesics for pain. Your chest muscles may become sore from coughing and the added effort of breathing, and your body will feel achy from fighting infection.
3) Rest. If you have pneumonia, get at least eight hours of sleep each night, and take a midday catnap.
4) Take an expectorant, like guaifenesin, to bring up sputum.
5) Avoid cigarette smoke and irritants in the air, and stay away from people who are sick. Your immune system is already working overtime.
6) Wear a mask when you go outside in the cold air. Fresh air is healthful to your lungs, but cold air is not.
7) Humidify the air in your house with a vaporizer. Sit in a hot shower or bath.
8) Check your temperature once a day. Any sudden spike should be reported to your doctor.
9) Take lots of deep breaths. Inhale as much air as your lungs can take in, and then hold your breath for 5 to 10 seconds. Exhale forcefully, but steadily. Repeat this 10 times. Do deep breathing exercises at least five times a day.
10) Apply a heating pad to your chest if muscles feel sore and achy.
11) Take it easy. Chores will still be there after you get well. If you push yourself while you have pneumonia, you may lengthen your recovery time by two or three months.
12) Avoid dairy products if you find that they cause your mucus to thicken.
13) Reduce activity until your cough is gone.
Home remedies for pneumonia
Treatment using Fenugreek
During the early acute stage of pneumonia, a tea made from fenugreek seeds will help the body to produce perspiration, dispel toxicity, and shorten the period of fever. Upto four cups of the tea can be taken daily. The quantity can be reduced as the condition improves. To improve the flavour of the tea, a few drops of lemon juice may be added. During this treatment, no other food or nourishment should be taken, as fasting and fenugreek will allow the body to correct these respiratory problems in a few days.
Treatment using Garlic
Garlic is a marvellous remedy for pneumonia, if given in sufficient quantities. It brings down the temperature, as well as the pulse and respiration within forty-eight hours. A paste of garlic can also be applied externally on the chest with beneficial results as it is an irritant and rubefacient.
Treatment using Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are valuable in pneumonia. An infusion of the seeds can be made by steeping 15 gm of seeds in 250 ml of water. This infusion, mixed with a tablespoon of linseed, a pinch of common salt, and a dessertspoon of honey, should be given in the treatment of this disease. This will help remove catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
Treatment using Parsnip Juice
The juice of parsnip, a root vegetable botanically known as Pastinaca sativa, is very beneficial in the treatment of pneumonia. The making the juice an excellent home remedy for pneumonia. The patient should take 250 ml of juice daily. It is however, essential that only the juice of the cultivated parsnip plant should be used for this purpose. The wild variety must not be used in juices as it contains some poisonous ingredients.
Treatment using Other vegetable Juices
The juice of carrots, in combination either with spinach juice, or beet and cucumber juices, has also been found useful in pneumonia. In these combinations, 200 ml of spinach juice or 100 ml each of beet and cucumber juices should be mixed with 300 ml of carrot juice to prepare 500 ml or half a liter of combined juice.
Treatment using Turpentine Oil
The pain of pneumonia can be relieved by rubbing oil of turpentine over the rib cage and wrapping warmed cotton wool over it.
Raw fruit and vegetable juices diet
Take raw juices for five to ten days, depending on the severity of your disease. Take a glass of fruit or vegetable juice diluted with warm water, every two or three hours. After a diet of raw juices, when the fever subsides, spend three or four days on an exclusive fresh fruit diet, taking three meals a day of juicy fruits.
Well-balanced diet of natural foods
Thereafter, gradually adopt a well-balanced diet of natural foods, with emphasis on fresh fruits and raw vegetables.
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF FLUIDS.